Traditionally wiring for accessories fitted to roof racks has involved wiring going up windscreens, up out of B pillar door gaps and the like. As part of the ARB BASE Rack development ARB’s engineers have developed a wiring solution to neatly get wiring from inside the vehicle through the vehicle or canopy roof.
Two wiring kits have been developed. One kit is pre-wired with 6 wires (3 circuits) preinstalled to ensure sealed wiring. The second kit has provision for 6 wires allowing differing wiring depending on customer requirements.
Key criteria during development included:
- Sealed wiring solution for passing wires through a vehicle roof
- Seamless integration with ARB BASE Rack
- Exit grommets to fit standard 10mm (3/8”) and 13mm (1/2”) OD conduit sizes
- High quality automotive wire to JASO standards (PN 1780400 only)
- Free from liquid adhesives
Fitting of the wiring kits requires 2 x 7mm (0.28”) and 1 x 25mm (1.0”) holes to be drilled in the vehicle or canopy roof. The 25mm hole is suitable for Deutsch DT-02 connectors to pass through. Mount location for popular vehicles has been developed allowing for side curtain airbags and other obstructions where necessary.
The Pre-Wired 3 Circuit Kit 1780400 includes:
- Rubber outer boot with 300mm sheath
- Roof grommet with bonded wires. 4.0m is provided for outside vehicle roof and 2.5m provided for within the vehicle
– Red and Red/Back 2.0mm² (25A)
– Green and Green/Black 0.5mm² (11A)
– Yellow and Yellow/Black 0.5mm² (11A)
- BASE Rack entry grommet
- BASE Rack exit grommet
- Direct exit grommet
- Cable ties and edge clips